"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more." - Steve Prefontaine

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Running at 5am

A few weeks ago I started playing with the idea of adding more volume to my training routine. I decided I would wake up at 5am and just do an easy 3-5 mile run. This added a few things to my day to make it better.

  1. It helped me get ready and leave for work at an earlier time than I had before. The plan worked to get me into work at the 7:00 - 7:30am range.
  2. Which then allowed me to get out of work a littler earlier. With my new commute to Woburn being laden with traffic in the afternoon, this was ideal.
  3. I was running an extra 10-15 miles a week, and if I ever had to miss an afternoon/night training because of something, I had already run that day, so I wouldn't feel guilty.
However, I found it very difficult to maintain this plan, and was only getting up to run at 5am once a week or so. I just hated it so much, that I would just go back to sleep the next morning my alarm went off at 5am.

My problem: RUNNING AT 5 IS HORRIBLE.

Recently this week, with the help of Laura, I have woken up and run at 5am every single day. 

My analysis: IT IS JUST AS HORRIBLE AS I REMEMBER!

I don't know how anyone does anything that early, never mind training in one way or the other. I have started each 5am run this week with a 3-5 minute jump-rope session on my driveway. I found out that I am not that good at jump-rope. When I start running, the first several steps are the most awkwardly coordinated steps anyone has ever taken in the history of walking. For the first 15 minutes of my run, it feels like some sort of weird dream. A dream where I am floating unconsciously on a cloud through the streets, not aware of my movements at all. The edges of my peripheral vision are blurry, and my reactions are delayed. It sounds like a 5am run for me, is equivalent to being drunk. 

My conclusion: RUNNING AT 5AM IS LIKE BEING DRUNK (except not as fun because then you hurt). 

No comments:

Post a Comment