"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more." - Steve Prefontaine

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Off-season Training in New England

Since I decided to step up my game, and race the Ironman 70.3 California, I really tried to stay focused with the training. My last race was on Halloween 2010, and I took a few weeks off from the sport before picking up my training again. Again, I chose not to invest in a coach mainly because they cost a lot of money, and to me personally, some days I prefer to just do my own thing and have fun doing what I want to do, and I wouldn't get out of a coach what I should, and I would be wasting their time.

December came, and I really started picking up my training; mostly in swimming and running. Once the new year rolled around, I really stepped up my biking game. The off-season training mostly consisted of 3 workouts a week, per sport. Mondays and Wednesdays consisted of a swim workout at my local Y; Tuesdays included an interval bike workout on the trainer followed by a tempo run either outside or on the treadmill if it were too bad outside (and a lot of times it was); Thursdays were my tempo rides on the trainer; Fridays I went on the treadmill again for a nice hard interval run and an easy ride on my trainer if time allowed; Saturdays mornings I woke up early to swim at the Y, then came back to put a really long movie in the DVD player and rode on my trainer for several hours; and Sundays were spent endlessly trotting on the treadmill for my long runs. Pool, trainer, treadmill, pool, treadmill, trainer, treadmill, pool, treadmill, trainer, poooool, treadmillllllll, trainerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. What an endless amount of boredom there is training in the winter in New England! I drew the picture below out of frustration of this boredom.

I really don't think I will race again as early as April 2, because I can't stand training to that intensity indoors. Maybe I should move somewhere warm?

No comments:

Post a Comment